Thursday, May 26, 2011

Good News

I PASSED!!!! Everything!! No re-writes, no re-do's, Thursday June 16th I will be walking across that stage and I will be receiving my diploma.

The last three years have been a huge learning curve, a physical and emotional journey. I find myself nostalgic looking back on who I was then, and who I have become. I think the girl in the mirror and I are a little easier with each other now. I like that.

I have become a care giver. A nurturer. I learned the obvious, how to massage, but I learned so much more too. I am a Doula. I can help mothers and their doctors/midwives bring babies into this world. And heck, I can make the process run a little smoother and more comfortable and cathartic for mom and baby both. I like that.

I also learned a way to finally make a living working with animals. I can rehabilitate racehorses, treat sore dressage horses, work with canine and equine athletes on soft tissue injuries, and also work on their stress and anxiety and emotional well being. I like that too.

I know I'm not quite done until the fat lady sings, or in this case, until I get my registration number from the CMTO in September, but I can't help but feel done. Feel like I made it. I made it.

And I'm so grateful for all the people who have helped me get where I am. For parents, there every step of the way, and grandparents, eager to see me succeed. For girlfriends who got me started down this path, and the boyfriend who stayed with me and helped me keep true to it. For friends who scraped me up off the floor at exam time and offered tea or booze (or both in the same cup). For classmates that bake the world's best guinness cup cakes, and others who give the best hugs I've ever hugged. For the classmates who cried big fat real tears the first time I found out I'd failed a class. For the teachers, weird and wonderful, who truly only want to see us succeed. It truly takes a village to raise a person, and that doesn't stop once you can be trusted not to play in traffic. I needed each and every one of you, and I'm so thankful that you helped me get where I am.

I made it. We made it.

No comments: