Thursday, December 15, 2011

Applesauce Raisin Cookies


I made these cookies yesterday, using applesauce that I made myself earlier in the year. Making something with my own two hands is so deeply rewarding anyways, but having made one of the basic ingredients from scratch as well is just darn special.
The cookies turn out puffy with sort of a cake-like texture, and the taste inexplicably reminds me of banana bread. Maybe it's the walnuts. Either way, this strikes me as the kind of "cookie" I wouldn't feel bad about sending along in kids' lunches. They aren't incredibly sweet either, but SOO moist and tasty.

Ingredients
1 cup shortening
2 cups packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 cups thick applesauce, drained
1/2 cup cold, brewed coffee
3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Directions
cream shortening and sugar together. Add eggs and mix thoroughly. Stir in applesauce and coffee. In a separate bowl, mix remaining ingredients together. Add to applesauce mixture and blend thoroughly. Chill at least 2 hrs. Heat oven to 400 deg. F. Lightly grease cookie sheet. Drop rounded tablespoonfuls of dough onto cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart. Bake 9-12 minutes. Cool on wire racks.

No comments: