Saturday, January 14, 2012

Pizza Chez Mia

I got the BEST pizza crust recipe from Jenna Woginrich over at Cold Antler Farm, and tried it out on my favorite guinea pigs, my family, last night. It was light, it was fluffy, it was easy to work with... And most of all, just the right texture and taste for an awesome pizza. I don't believe I've ever gotten takeout pizza that tasted as good. I made two pizzas, and they got devoured, and then I made two more to satisfy the hungry mob. For now I'm using store bought toppings, but I can see myself canning up some pizza sauce next summer for sure!! Maybe learning to make mozzarella as well? Who knows. All I know is this has replaced takeout for me when it comes to pizza.

1 cup warm water
1 package yeast
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 1/2 cups flour

Take one cup of warm water (leaning towards hot) and pour it into a bowl, add all the contents of a yeast package inside. Mix and let stand for 5 minutes (add a tsp of honey if you want). Once the yeast has set, add your salt and veggie oil and then add cup of flour at a time as you mix it in.

Next, knead into a dough and then set it aside for a few minutes while you slice up your cheese and tomatoes. To finish it off, take your dough and make it into a circular crust shape that fits the bottom of your skillet (or your cookie sheet, pizza stone, or right on the grill). Add your toppings annd bake at 400 until crust slightly browns and the cheese melts.

Thank you Jenna!! Personally I found that I only needed just over two cups of flour, not the full two and a half cups. Each ball of dough yielded two moderately sized, thin crust pizza, it probably would have made one great full size pizza, but I have picky family members who wanted different toppings. Enjoy!!

No comments: