Friday, November 23, 2012

Drumroll Please...

Andrew passed the testing!! There is one more stage, it involves meeting the doctors at the base hospital whose license the medics operate under, to make sure they trust his medical knowledge, and feel comfortable taking responsibility for his actions in the field. In reality, it's a bit of a formality. Chances are if you've made it this far, you've got enough medical knowledge and a suitable demeanor. What this means is that Dec. 4th he goes back up to Sudbury, where the base hospital is, meets the docs, and if all goes well, (which I'm sure it will), he'll be offered the job and flown up to Moosonee for orientation. Basically, he's got the job!!! I couldn't be happier!! I've been hopping and skipping, and "squee!!!"ing all day. I'm so so sooooo very proud of him!! He did a great job, the medics all loved him.

So, now we start thinking more seriously about how to proceed. It was recommended to us (especially if we end up in moosefactory or moosonee) to bring his truck up. That way, we can load her sky high, drive it onto the train, and then drive it right to our door. Sounds like a nifty idea. It would work in the other communities too, assuming we're comfortable with the idea of driving on the ice roads over cold angry lakes (gulp.). Bring it on. But first, snow tires.

We still don't know if he's getting a full time or part time position or which community we'll end up in, but at the latest we'll know that by the time he goes up for orientation. They'll also discuss the housing situation then, since it's rather different in each community, they'll wait to tell us the details once they know where we're going. Sounds like a good idea to me, though it does make this phase of the game rather difficult. I'm struck by the feeling that there's so very much to do, but can't really proceed with any of it yet. Frustrating! I will tell you this: I am knitting slippers and mittens and hats, and I'm going to have to acquire some actual winter boots, and probably a pair of snow pants. Some more wool socks and a few more pairs of long johns probably wouldn't hurt either. Should I even bother packing my shorts? Well, the optimist in me says yes, we could get something of a summer, even way up there.

I do know we will have a very busy social calendar between now and then. Everybody wants to wish us well and see us one more time before we go up to the wild north. I think Andrew's buddies have offered to take him out for enough drinks to keep him drunk from now until the base hospital date.

My head is spinning... we didn't get a chance to crack into the bottle of champagne I picked up because Andrew had to work tonight, but I might just help myself to a glass... for the good of my nerves!

ps. Woohoo! I'm getting a dog!!! hehehehehe

1 comment:

small farm girl said...

Yea!!!!!!! So happy for you guys!