Sunday, January 13, 2013

Entertaining

Andrew and I are hosting a dinner for the first time as a married couple, and we're not even in our own place yet! His friends from where he used to work are coming over for dinner to wish us well and hang out one last time before we leave. I love entertaining, I love cooking for a group, and I can't wait to get into the big roomy kitchen in our brand new apartment and play hostess with all the nifty new kitchen gadgets I've picked up or we received as wedding gifts. It's gonna be a lot of fun. I can see a euchre night at our house becoming a regular thing.
In the mean time, tonight's meal consists of a roast beef on a bed of kale, covered in montreal steak spice, and surrounded by potatoes, onions mushrooms, more kale and more steak spice. Yum. We also made up a salsa dip with tortilla chips, and a garden salad with mixed greens, cucumbers, tomatoes and red peppers. One of our guests is gluten intolerant, or "glutarded" as she likes to call it, but that doesn't even phase me any more. I've spent a lot of time cooking for glutards. Dessert is the trickier part, can't have any cakes or pastries, brownies, pie crusts... not without going to the pricy gluten free versions that taste like cardboard anyways, but we'll have cut up fruit with a berry-infused whipped cream based dip, and that'll have to do for tonight. I think it'll go over well.
Now we're in the hurry-up-and-wait phase... We've got all the prep work done, all that's left is to pop the roast in the oven in a few minutes. Our guests aren't expected for at least another hour though. Maybe I'll watch an episode of Dexter in the mean time. It's my latest netflix addiction.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh wow! Sounds wonderful! I can't wait to hear how it went!

Unknown said...

mom... you've got my account logged in on your computer...