Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Bird Feeders

Andrew mentioned the first day that we moved in that we should get a bird feeder. I don't think he's ever had a better idea.

I picked up these two gems up at the hardware store today, one is a silo shaped feeder for sunflower seeds, the other is a wire basket that holds a suet cake. I was amazed at how fast the local fauna swooped in! In the past, any time that I've had a new feeder hung up it's taken at least a day or two for the birds to find it and get brave enough to try it. Today, just before I took the picture above there were three birds on the silo feeder. In that picture there, the obvious bright yellow finch is on the feeder, but if you look closely, right on the bottom at the right is a little brown sparrow. The suet feeder is sporting a black capped chickadee. I'm very happy with my purchases, and equally happy that the birds seem happy with them. Perhaps next year if my sunflowers do well I'll be able to save my own seeds to fill the feeder with. 

No comments: