Thursday, November 27, 2014

Homemade Christmas


"It came without ribbons. It came without tags. It came without packages, boxes or bags. (...) What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more.”

                                                                                                 - Dr. Seuss

This year I am opting out of all the crazy commercialization and going for a homemade christmas. In a several part series, I'll detail what I'm doing to make this house diy festive, from homemade tree ornaments and home decor, to christmas candies and treats, and homemade christmas presents. I figure Connor's too young to think it's lame, and my hubby isn't really needing or wanting for much, so it's a good time to do it. I will be purchasing one gift (maybe two?) for him, but the rest will be handmade. 
I'm not forsaking any of the christmas trappings and trimmings we already have, but the truth is we don't have many. Last year was our first christmas, and we didn't really do a tree, so we've got a few rag tag ornaments we've collected over the years, but nothing substantial. Not enough to decorate a whole tree with.  I'll be using flour-salt dough ornaments, cinnamon ornaments, birch biscuits decorated with a wood burner and some paper crafts. I also want to try some dried fruit decor, with a cranberry string and dried orange slices. We are getting a real tree this year, and I'm so excited! I've always wanted one and never could because of my family's allergies. 
I'm also going to attempt to make some candy canes, and hard candies. Perhaps a batch of fudge? And of course, make up some of my hubby's favourite- Shortbread Cookies!
I'll also detail the gifts I'm making, but first I need promises that he won't visit this site until after the gift giving is done!
What are you doing to make christmas a little more sentimental this year? Join me, and lets make a Homemade Christmas!

No comments: